Who doesn’t love a afternoon tea with homemade warm scones, Somerset clotted cream and jam? My mouth waters at the very thought, such a simple thing to make!
- Heat the oven 220C/200 Fan/ Gas 7
- Gently warm the milk to luke warm around 40C
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl
- Add the butter and mix together until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Add the sugar to the dry mix along with the vanilla and lemon juice
- Add in the warm milk until a dough forms
- Don’t over work the mix, but just as everything comes together add the raisins or sultanas
- Turn the dough out onto a slightly floured surface and roll to around 4cm thick. Use your cutter to cut the scones out, place on a greaseproof lined baking tray.
- Brush with the beaten egg to glaze.
- Bake for 10mins until golden, they are at their best when still warm. Flash in the oven for a few mins before serving.
Scones freeze well, defrost for 2/3 hours, splash with a few drops of water before putting in the oven for 2/3 mins to stop them drying out.